Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Goals Update

Last Saturday I realized that 2011 is 1/3 of the way done.  (What?!? Where is this year going?!)  As I thought about the goals I had set for this year and how I am doing in achieving them, I decided I would share a little update.

In January I set two kinds of goals: personal goals and house goals (you can follow the links to read more in depth).  Here is an update on both sets:

Personal Goals for 2011:




1. Read every word of the Bible in a year.
Let me just say, if you have never read through the Bible, it is an awesome thing to do.  It does require some dedication, but the rewards are so great!  I am loving seeing God's plan for his people throughout history and better understanding the great God I worship.  So far I have read Genesis, Job, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I Samuel, and currently I am in a mishmash of 2 Samuel, 1 Chronicles, and Psalms.  (I will admit that I am currently struggling... These are not the most engaging books, though I completely understand why they need to be a part of the Bible.)

For those who have asked, Jim and I are following a chronological reading plan, so we are reading the events in the order in which they happened.  There are many, many chronological reading plans available, but we are currently using one available on YouVersion.  Each day I have about 10 - 15 minutes of reading (except when I get behind, which happens more often than I would like), and there is an app for my phone so I can read in car line, too!  :-) 

2. Write on my blog at least once a week.
You can check the progress of this one for yourself.  The archive list over there to the right doesn't lie.


3. Leave the Nashville area at least four times.
In February we returned to Dallas for a visit, a few weeks ago I went to The Smoky Mountains for a retreat, and in October we will be returning to Dallas for my friend Erin's wedding.  I just need to plan one other getaway in order to reach my goal, and squeezing that one in around our schedules and finances is going to be really tricky.  Time to think, plan, and get intentional...

House Goals for 2011:

DONE:
Finish the coat closet hallway
Before:

After:



IN PROGRESS: 
1. Work on the family room

  • get a mirror or  artwork to go above the sofa

  • hang something below the ledge shelf in this picture above

  • fill in the vertical space(s) next to our feature photo wall

  • change the throw pillows... I'm hoping to add pops of aqua to the room.


  • Before:

    After:

    Before:
    (I was trying to decide what size piece I need over the couch.  I still haven't found what I am looking for!)

    After:


    2. (Nearly) Finish the play room
    • paint the walls
    • make throw pillows for the couch
    • create a place for the kids to showcase their artwork
    • hang stuff on the walls
    • make new light fixtures
    • have Jim re-wire the lights

    Before:

    After:



    3. Trim out the chalkboard wall

    Before:

    After:

    This isn't officially done because we still need to fill in the nail holes and touch up the paint.  But it looks good, and I am thrilled that I decided to do it!

    I also made a few magnetic frames and some glass magnets:

    Buckets give me a place to keep chalk, chalk pens, and an eraser.

    TOTALLY NOT DONE (OR EVEN STARTED!):
    • Work on the guest bathroom / kids' bathroom.
    • Give some TLC to my craft room.
    • Get curtains for our bedroom.  
    • Hang something on the empty wall in the dining room.
    • Add more lighting to the formal living room.


    Having a goals list for the house has been incredibly helpful.  When I have had a little extra money, I have been able to make good, intentional choices.  My eyes are always peeled for things that will help me accomplish my goals, and I can prioritize my time better.

    In a few weeks I am having a garage sale, and I am already trying to decide where to spend the money I make.  Having this goals list helps me to narrow down my choices considerably and keeps me focused.

    I will try to do another update in four more months.  Hopefully I will have 2/3 of the list done!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...