Thursday, March 17, 2011

Napkin Pillows

Today I'm thinking about my front living room.  It is not on this year's goals list, other than my goal to add another lamp to the room, but I can plan and dream anytime, right?  I've been helping my friend Hope to choose new throw pillows for her living room, and it got me thinking about adding warmth and depth to my front living room sofa...  Of course, as you change one thing, it makes you think about your whole, big-picture plan, and I'm not sure I have a vision for the first rooms you see when you walk into my home!  So now I'm creating a vision in my mind and would love your input.  Here is where I am right now...


Years ago I found these beautiful napkins and place mats when I was visiting western New York, and my in-laws bought them for me as a gift.  I have always loved them, and I have especially loved that they are reversible and the colors look good with my sofa in the adjoining living room.  I always keep the matching striped runner (not shown) on the dining room table to draw the two rooms together, as they are not separated with a real wall.

The other day I decided that it was silly to only enjoy how beautiful these fabrics and colors looked together when we were eating in the dining room (a rare occasion).  So, I decided to bite the bullet and stitch the napkins together to make pillows.  Now I won't have enough napkins for a large dinner party, but I'll enjoy the pillows so much every day!


I just LOVE how the colors and patterns work together.  Finding fabrics that look good with this green sofa has been a challenge for the last seven (?) years since I got the sofa recovered.  I still love it, but I have many times regretted the fabric choice because it has been so hard to match.  Having another pattern in the room freshens things up so much!


I'm thinking about bringing in dark brown and yellow as my accent colors because I don't really love the salmon-colored roses on the sofa.  Maybe solid goldish-yellow curtains or horizontal tone-on-tone stripes?  Maybe not?  Maybe I should bring in some white?  I've been thinking of adding solid chocolate brown pillows behind the "napkin pillows:" so that I can bring in a chocolate brown chair on the opposite side of the room.  What do you think?  Is the brown too dark?  (I'm trying to tie in my table, which is dark brown, not black.)


And what do I do with the pictures above the couch?  The don't fill in the wall correctly (partly because they're too high), and I really prefer groupings of three, but I'd like to keep using them somewhere in the room because I like the way the prints and the burlap work with the colors in the couch.

(The random napkin in the photo above shows the other side of the stripes near the couch.  I wish I could use it somehow, but I think it's too much floral.)

Help a girl out.  I may enjoy helping other people to design their spaces, but even professional designers (which I am so not) need an outside perspective on things sometimes.  This room could plague me forever if I don't get some fresh perspective!

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea how to help you out, but I do love those pillows. When I was at the house last week, I was thinking about those pillows after I left and how creative you are. When I saw that couch, I wouldn't have thought to get striped print. I am boring and would have gone solid. But it DOES look really great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...